Rivals’ Olin Buchanan mentions a weird fact today about MNC winners. Schools that win MNC’s in years ending in “8″ suffer long droughts before winning another (if ever).
- 1938 – TCU wins AP title. No MNC since.
- 1948 – Michigan wins; next MNC won in 1997 (shared with Nebraska)
- 1958 – LSU; next MNC won in 2003
- 1968 – Ohio State; next MNC won in 2002
- 1978 – USC; next MNC won in 2003 (or 2004, depending on your point of view)
- 1988 – Notre Dame. Still waiting.
- 1998 – Tennessee. Nada since.
Pretty strange, hunh? Would you want Georgia to win this season if you knew the wait for the next one would be lengthy?