From today’s The State, five guys say why Georgia is #1 going into the ’08 season:
Five members of The Associated Press’ Top 25 college football voting panel tell us why they’re leaning toward putting Georgia No. 1 on their preseason ballots:
1. Stewart Mandel, SI.com. Of the teams that finished high last year, Georgia has by far the most key players coming back, with the possible exception of Ohio State. But there’s obviously reason for skepticism with the Buckeyes.
2. David Jones, Florida Today. Knowshon Moreno is just beginning to show how good he really is. He’s my preseason Heisman favorite over [Florida's] Tim Tebow.
3. Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram. In Matthew Stafford, the Bulldogs have a veteran quarterback with more skins on the wall at the college level than the guy who will start at Southern Cal, Mark Sanchez.
4. Tom Luicci, (Newark, N.J.) Star-Ledger. I’d go with Georgia because of the wealth of talent, particularly on offense, it has back. I’m not sure the national champion this year was even the best team in the SEC at the end of the season.
5. Joe Person, The (Columbia) State. Here’s hoping success doesn’t spoil Moreno. The way the Heisman candidate sprints back to the huddle after every carry is reminiscent of how Pete Rose ran out every ground ball. That kind of energy is infectious.