Here are a few last minute thoughts and quotes that may have fallen through the cracks, or haven’t gotten as much attention as perhaps they deserve:
- Chris Low mentions the “glass half full” aspect to Georgia’s schedule: “Georgia’s the SEC team that’s probably the strongest lock to make the BCS national championship game if the Bulldogs can win the SEC title with no more than one loss. Their brutal schedule would be what puts them over the top with the voters.”
- We all like to knock Herbstreit – and there are certainly times when he deserves it – but he makes a very good point about Alabama that’s been overlooked this week in his Q & A with David Hale: “They’re paper thin. That’s the difference between ‘Bama and Georgia, Florida and LSU. They don’t have the depth. Their margin of error is so slight. If John Parker Wilson gets hurt, they’re in big trouble. If Caldwell gets hurt, they’re in trouble. If any of these crucial ingredients go down, they don’t have anybody. So they have to stay healthy in order to have the kind of year they want to have.” In my mind, that’s not simply something to factor in over the course of the season, but also in the context of what should be a hotly contested, very physical game tonight.
- Yeah, Saban’s gonna mix up his defenses tonight in an attempt to keep Stafford off his game. But didn’t Saban try to do the same thing last year?
- Alabama respects Moreno. Don’t forget that last year, when he wasn’t the featured back, he still managed 96 yards on 19 touches.
- While you’re looking at that box score, don’t forget that Coutu had the chance to win that game in regulation and couldn’t. Yet the Dawgs survived. Walsh, while a freshman, has been a pretty cool customer so far on field goals.
- On a lighter note, this is great. Demented, but great. (h/t Bama Sports Report)