More coffee, hon?
- Coaches say the darnedest things, take one. Steve Spurrier, upon leaving Florida for the NFL, had this to say: “There are no Vanderbilts in the NFL.” Considering his Gamecocks have lost two straight to Vandy, I guess there are no Vanderbilts in the SEC East, either.
- Coaches say the darnedest things, take two. One other noteworthy item about the above-linked piece – I believe it marks the first printed use of the phrase “Even Lane Kiffin” since Junior’s taken the helm in Knoxville. Something tells me it won’t be the last.
- Coaches say the darnedest things, take three. Great, great catch over at Team Speed Kills regarding Urban Meyer’s conversion on the subject of an early signing period – “I was against the early signing period before I was for it. Old Meyer: Early signing is a terrible idea. New Urban Meyer (who’s hauling in early commitments): Early signing is a marvelous idea.”
- Mack Brown’s still in a snit about the coaches’ poll. At GTP, we have a suggestion for you, Coach. Instead of quitting, start pushing for approval voting. And stop blaming the coaches’ poll for what happened to your team last year. That was the fault of the Big XII Conference, not the polls.
- Normally, I don’t link to Bleacher Report because 95% of what appears there is little more than message board-type dreck that isn’t worthy of comment, but, brother, when you have the cojones to compare the BCS/playoff fight to the civil rights struggle, that’s the kind of stupidity that’s gonna get a shout-out from me every time.
- And here’s another the-NFL-doesn’t-like-spread-option-quarterbacks story. This one’s spiced with some defensive comments from Rich Rod – essentially blame the players, not the system – balanced against some real world observations from one of his former players, Shaun King.
- Famous last words from Jimmy Clausen? “Coach Weis will not get fired because of me.” Damn, wouldn’t that be some heavy karma.
- Yeah, this is going somewhere: Faculty group aims for greater voice in NCAA decisions. Probably about as far as this exercise in cynicism: BCS considering parts of Mountain West proposal.