Stability at the very top, but a lot of underbrush clearing for the rest of the ballot…
BEST OF THE REST
- Boise State
- Georgia Tech
- Ohio State
- I couldn’t agree more with Matt Hinton about the pollsters’ ridiculous decision to rank Southern Cal ahead of Oregon. There is absolutely zero justification for it.
- Matt’s also got one other excellent point worth mentioning here: “The SEC has three teams (tying it with the Mountain West and ACC), but all three are in the top eight, even though Alabama and Florida’s only victories over another top-20 team are over LSU, and LSU has no wins over another team in the top 25.” I just don’t see the Tigers as one of the nation’s twelve best right now with that offense.
- The top four ranked teams nationally in total defense are Texas, Florida, TCU and Alabama. Coincidence? I think not.
- Cincinnati isn’t as highly ranked in defense as those four, but the Bearcats are ranked third in the nation in total offense. (TCU, by the way, is eighth.)
- As indicated, my top five was a pretty easy call. I looked at Southern Cal, Penn State, LSU, Utah and Virginia Tech (don’t laugh – the Hokies’ schedule has been tough), but went with Miami and Pittsburgh in my last two slots. Total time spent assembling ballot: approximately 30 minutes.