Falling upwards.

Somehow, Gary Crowton has managed to parlay this…

The 53-year-old coach had come under heavy fire for what could be charitably described as inept offenses during his past two years with the Tigers.  LSU was 45th (29.7) and 76th (24.8) in scoring offense, and 86th (341.3) and 112th (304.5) in total offense.  Most embarrassing was an utterly limp passing attack: 107th (155.6) last year, 97th (181.8) in 2009.

… into a new three-year contract at Maryland, where he’ll be paid $100,000 a year more than he was getting at LSU.

Whoever Crowton’s agent is, that’s somebody who’s earning his keep.

About these ads

17 Comments

Filed under It's Just Bidness

17 responses to “Falling upwards.

  1. Hogbody Spradlin

    Same as Lane Kiffin?

    • Go Dawgs!

      And Gene Chizik (though Crowton doesn’t have the luxury of hiring a brilliant offensive coordinator, being that it’s the job he’s supposed to hold).

  2. Macallanlover

    The QB competition between Jefferson and ZM this spring and summer should be interesting for LSU fans. Unless they go 12-0 with 24 point victory margins, I smell controversy.

  3. merk

    Maybe he takes all of LSU’s retarded luck with him.

  4. PatinDC

    UM is not going be happy in it’s post Ralph era. Let’s remember this feeling….

  5. DavetheDawg

    There’s a lesson to be learned here, boys and girls: Even if you’re not completely qualified for that job, send that resume in anyhow.

  6. David

    The real lesson here is that you can have a complete idiot for a head coach that has no clue how to manage the last 2 minutes of a game, you can have a terrible quarterback where every game you feel like you can’t do a thing offensively, yet if you have a great defense you can still go 11 and 2. This has always been the case in the SEC. If you stop your opponent and create turnovers and win the field position battle, you’ve got a good shot of winning a lot.

    • DWH

      +1

      I remember back when UGA had that kind of D. Ah, the good ole days…

    • Macallanlover

      While no one could argue with your final sentence, Les Miles is far from a complete idiot. Every college and professional coach has made bonehead moves that make them, or the assistant coach responsible for some of those decisions, look pretty dumb when put under a microscope away from the heat of battle. Miles may not be my favorite coach if I were on a search but he is far from being the village idiot. He has kind of fun to kick around though….I just wouldn’t underestimate him.

      • W Cobb Dawg

        It would be hard to find any coach who has more dumb luck than Miles. No matter how goofy or inventive the trick play, it always seems to work for him. Throw in lousy calls on his opponent (AJ celebration) and a season where the mnc champ gets 2 losses. He racks up wins no matter what. He’s got the provebial golden horseshoe …

        • Macallanlover

          Most sports fans like to poo-poo (never thought I would write that out) the role “luck” plays in athletics, but in truth the amazing role that both good and bad fortune plays in determining history has to be acknowledged. Everyone wants to say luck is directly related to preparation, which is true 98% of the time, but that weird bounce, or clunk of turf, or wet spot, etc., has a way of making itself known the other 2% of the time and if that happens at “the big moment” of a game it changes people’s fortunes.

          Every season a handful of plays changes the destiny of coaches and players. Miles has breaks go against him too, he has just become the poster boy for good luck because the WWL makes sure everyone sees those plays dozens of times. Think Tressel didn’t get 2-3 huge “luck” plays in 2002? Without them he would have a reputation like Big Game Bob, except he would not have the BCS trophy. And guess who might have that faux title and not have so many fans wanting his head because he doesn’t measure up to the likes of Cheatz-it? I won’t say it always evens out, but no one gets all the breaks.

          • AthensHomerDawg

            Nice post!
            “Lady Luck just looked down and laughed out loud”LM
            or something close to that. We’ve all heard it a time or two.

  7. dawg1976

    Our Lady Bulldogs are in
    Fayetteville, Ark., tonight to face No. 20
    Arkansas. Game is @ 9:00pm on CSS

    • The ATH

      How cute. Is there a ping pong match we should know about as well?

      • Charles

        You’re a douche. If UGA was slated for SEC tiddlywinks action, I’d take an interest. Try being a real fan so that you can relate to the rest of us.

  8. ScoutDawg

    You can say Miles is Dumb Lucky but how many times does that stupid shit have to work before you say he is “crazy like a Fox”. See what I did.

  9. Bulldog Joe

    …and once again there are no calls to Athens.