A few things to nibble on as spring football progresses:
- Travis Haney’s detailed report on the Garcia story will have you wondering how in the world the kid is still hanging on by a thread instead of already having been tossed into the trash can. Until you get to this part: “But Shaw has not developed nearly as fast as the coaches wanted or expected. And so, as Spurrier says, ‘that’s where we are right now.’”
- Meanwhile, Spurrier delivered his thanks for Florida erecting a statue honoring his Heisman Trophy award via video message… wearing South Carolina garb.
- Of course the Gator faithful may not have noticed, because of how exciting the Orange and Blue Game was. Injuries or not, Charlie Weis has his work cut out for him.
- Dennis Dodd has developed a serious man crush on Zach Mettenberger, aka “The Mett-siah”.
- Jeff Owens to Christian Robinson: “It’s your ship now.”
- Georgia’s players are beating the hell out of each other this spring, and the head coach doesn’t have a problem with that. “When you compete the way we’ve been competing and hit the way we’ve been hitting, there’s going to be some [injuries],” Richt said. “But my goal this spring was to make sure we’re a physical football team and a team that will get after it every time we put pads on. And I have seen that.”
- If Tavarres King could pick his offensive mates for the G-Day game, one of his top three would be walk-on tailback Brandon Harton: “I’ve got to go with the little man…”
- John Infante thinks the NCAA needs to reconsider its approach to non-scholastic sports like the 7-on-7 camps that have expanded recently.