There’s a name missing from the list of Broyles Award finalists that kinda surprises me:
… The award’s 10-member panel – Broyles, former Georgia Coach Vince Dooley, former Washington Coach Don James, former Syracuse Coach Dick MacPherson, former Baylor Coach Grant Teaff, former Brigham Young Coach LaVell Edwards, former Iowa Coach Hayden Fry, former Oklahoma Coach Barry Switzer, former Tennessee and Pittsburgh Coach Johnny Majors, and former Florida State University Coach Bobby Bowden — announced earlier Monday the finalists for the 2011 version of the Broyles, which consists of three coaches from the SEC and two from the Big Ten:
- John Chavis, Louisiana State University, Defensive Coordinator
- Paul Chryst, University of Wisconsin, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
- Greg Mattison, Michigan, Defensive Coordinator
- Garrick McGee, University of Arkansas, Offensive Coordinator/QBs
- Sal Sunseri, Alabama, Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers
I don’t quibble a bit with the first three names there, but McGee and Sunseri ahead of Todd Grantham? Makes you wonder if somebody’s paying a price for being a bit too public with his temper.
For the record, my vote would go to Mattison, even if Grantham were on the list. The turnaround he’s worked with the Michigan defense this year has been remarkable.