And so, the first scrimmage of 2014 spring practice is in the books. It’s a controlled setting, early on – not to mention it’s the first quasi-game like conditions for an entirely new defensive staff – so it’s not worth getting too deep into the weeds. But this is a blog, after all, and if you can’t engage in some premature tea leaf reading here, where can you?
A few thoughts:
- I’m a little surprised by this: Asked about Drew’s spring, coach Mark Richt said after the scrimmage that the senior has “done alright. He’s been banged up a little bit. I would say he’s not been kicking tail right now. I think he’s got a lot of improvement to do.” Drew’s 2013 season speaks for itself. So does that Richt thinks he needs motivating this spring.
- J.J. Green’s enthusiasm: Sophomore cornerback J.J. Green’s name also came up in the defensive discussion as he and linebacker Reggie Carter led the defense with seven tackles. Green sported a bandage across his forehead during interviews but was very enthusiastic about his game, pointing to one hit that he specifically remembered… “He is very tough, very physical,” Richt said. “For a guy that hasn’t played defense in a while I really like what he’s doing.” You get the feeling that Green’s on track to be a contributor this season.
- The offensive line sounds like it’s living up to all the uncertainty we’ve expected. “According to the stats that Richt read off to the media, the offensive line allowed 14 tackles for loss and seven sacks, but he believes those stats to be misleading.” Sure hope so. (And, to be fair, the defensive line has a significant experience edge over its offensive counterpart.)
- Chris Conley: Conley, who scored his touchdowns on a flare route and a double move, said the rain shouldn’t be blamed for the offense bogging down. Doesn’t sound like he was bogged down much.
- Hutson Mason sounded comfortable, going 12-for-18 with 152 yards and two touchdowns.
- Final word goes to David Andrews: “The good thing is there’s a lot to work on. Also, the good thing is it’s only day seven. We’ve still got eight more practices and then all summer.”
Let’s hope that’s enough. When’s the second scrimmage?