Georgia opens as a 19-point favorite over Tennessee. Too much?
Category Archives: Because Nothing Sucks Like A Big Orange
It never ceases to amaze me the number of ways that Tennessee’s current run of futility can be categorized. Take this:
Tennessee is just 2-28 against ranked opponents since the start of the 2008 season, with wins over a ranked South Carolina team in 2009 and 2013. In that time the Vols have had just one winning season — 7-6 in 2009 — and are 33-41 overall under four different coaches.
Tennessee has not beaten a top-five foe since beating then No. 4-ranked LSU in 2005.
Mike Hamilton was the bomb.
Oh, and good luck in Norman today, fellas.
And not everyone minds “Sandstorm.” Georgia junior linebacker Jordan Jenkins said it actually got him fired up.
“During the game I was like, Shoot this is gettin’ me hyped I don’t know why they keep playing it,” Jenkins said. “It doesn’t bother me as much as Rocky Top does.”
There’s a tried and true way to keep that tune from being played, Jordan.
I know plenty of folks are looking forward to the reception Junior will get when Alabama travels to Tennessee later this season, but another old, familiar face returns to prowl the sidelines in Neyland Stadium this Saturday, with backwards cap and towel in hand.
I have this vision of Trooper in his eighties, in a wheelchair, still sporting the same dignified look.
On the other hand, at least a Jancek-Martinez defense has an even chance against the genius.
Eh, let’s clean out the pantry.
- Gus Malzahn promises “clarity” on how he’ll use Nick Marshall in the opener. Won’t that be dependent on how much of a game Arkansas gives Auburn?
- Tennessee claims it drew 40,000 to an open scrimmage. Let’s see how they turn out in November.
- DJ Shockley is as puzzled by Georgia’s SEC championship drought as anyone: “It’s beyond amazing, and I can’t even imagine how this has happened,” Shockley said. “It’s almost like a string of bad luck. I look back at all the talent that has been there since I left and the guys that Georgia has put out, and it’s just amazing. It’s one of those things that has baffled me just like it’s baffled the fans.”
- Can you believe Will Muschamp has had a hard time recruiting élite offensive talent to Gainesville?
- Brandon Larrabee makes a solid point about how LSU does a good job surviving its NFL departures. But, man, the Tigers sure have to replace a lot of skill position experience this season.
- I don’t think it’s a good sign if Ted Roof thinks from watching Tech scrimmages one of the things his defense needs to improve is the pass rush.