Judge knocks out remaining claim in Mike Leach’s suit against Texas Tech. That sucks for entertainment purposes, but at least we’ve still got Leach’s suit against ESPN to look forward to.
Category Archives: Mike Leach. Yar!
I can see how what happened to Adam James scarred the management at Texas Tech permanently.
Former players have come out and told CBSSports.com that Gillispie broke NCAA rules by not adhering to practice limits. He once went eight hours in a single day. NCAA rules stipulate you can’t practice more than four hours per day or 20 hours per week.
“We practiced a lot more than 20 hours a week,” former guard Kevin Wagner told CBSSports.com.
“We used to go more than four hours all the time,” added Jaron Nash, who transferred to North Dakota after last season. “I remember that day when we went almost all day. We didn’t leave until 9 p.m. or so. It was pretty bad. A lot of guys were really hurt after it. One guy had a stress fracture in both legs.”
One source identified that player as African native Kader Tapsoba, who did not play last season while dealing with multiple stress fractures.
“He was literally crying at practice,” said the source, who was with the program last season. “He couldn’t even run and Gillispie had him running up and down the steps at the arena. I remember the doctor getting the X-rays back and coming to practice and telling Gillispie it was really bad. He’d just ice him up and tell him to go practice.”
“He shouldn’t have been practicing,” he added. “But he bullied everyone, including the trainer. He’d make the trainer make kids come back. Bodies were dropping like flies. One day I walked in and the whole team was in the training room. All the players and even the managers. He’d make them practice.”
I can’t wait to hear ESPN’s take on this.
He’s said things before like what you’ll hear beginning at the 1:27 mark.
The transcript is here. It’s good stuff.
“Balance, whether you run it or throw it, is getting contribution from all the skill positions. Ours is a balanced offense. The wishbone is a balanced offense. Some I-tailback offense, it may be a great offense, it may be great for the team that they play for, where you’re giving it to the back 40 times. There’s nothing balanced about it. It doesn’t even add up to balance. We try to be balanced based on contributions by all the skill positions.”
Not the scheme. The name.
“We had Dustin Dewald throwing for more than 400 yards a game, and, as part-time SID, Mike had to try to get him in the newspapers,” Mumme recalled. “Mike read an article about Steve Spurrier at Duke having an offense they called ‘Air Ball,’ so Mike came to me and said, ‘We’ve got to call our offense ‘Air Raid.’ ”
Congrats, you made it! Now have some football.
- Quayvon Hicks thinks Zander Ogletree is a “great man”… just not a big man. (Seeing as Hicks just won a state title in the discus throw, I’m not gonna argue with him.)
- North Carolina’s ACC peers aren’t very happy with its Butch Davis-era NCAA violations.
- Michael Elkon confirms that I made a good decision not to listen to the absurd Buzz Bissinger debate (using the term loosely) about banning college football.
- But I sure as hell would have tuned in for this: Leach said, “I would have massacred those people. I would have loved to been part of that debate.”
- Mark Richt has some thoughtful observations about concussion safety and where football might be headed as a result.
- Boise State may be having second thoughts about joining the Big East, in part because the TV money may not be there.
- Years after the demise of the Blue-Gray Game, it looks like Montgomery will be hosting a new “College Football All Star Game”.
- Derek Dooley, Roy Adams and Adolf Hitler. Who says Tennessee football isn’t fun?
Here’s your hump day nosh.
- And The Valley Shook’s Billy takes a crack at the “SEC – Year of the Quarterback” almost-meme.
- Rogers Redding is disturbed.
- North Carolina grads, I feel your pain. But, if true, your school deserves to fry over it.
- Preemptive war, ESPN-style.
- Craig James thinks Mike Leach is evil. But at least there aren’t any dead hooker rumors haunting the Pirate.
- I’m sort of surprised Cornelius Washington didn’t rate a mention on this list.
- SOD claims he needed a defensive coordinator who’s on the same page with him. But check out the quote about Wilcox in Matt Hayes’ SEC coaches rankings.
- Will a four-team playoff mean extra championship chances for the SEC?