I thought I’d take one last look back at the past season for the conference, with a “before, during and after” perspective. The one liners are generally from my point of view, but filtered through a loose consensus of what I picked up from the blogosphere, the media and conversations with other football fans.
- Preseason: Good team, brutal schedule.
- Midseason: These guys can play some frickin’ defense.
- End of season: SEC rools, bay-bee! Meyer can coach.
- Preseason: Who’s gonna play quarterback?
- Midseason: You lost to Vandy? At home?
- End of season: Nice finish, but you lost to Vandy. At home.
- Preseason: Might not suck as much as usual.
- Midseason: Aren’t sucking as much as usual. Good QB.
- End of season: Didn’t suck as much as usual. Good QB.
- Preseason: Ignore last season’s record. Spurrier’s a genius.
- Midseason: Ignore this season’s record. Spurrier’s a genius.
- End of season: This team may be a pain in the ass to play in ’07. Spurrier’s a genius.
- Preseason: These guys can’t be any worse than they were last year, can they?
- Midseason: David Cutcliffe was what the doctor ordered. Stud wide receivers, too.
- End of season: If you can’t run, you can’t hide.
- Preseason: How good was Jay Cutler?
- Midseason: Pretty damned good.
- End of season: They’ll always have Athens.
- Preseason: Joke of a schedule + questionable head coach = 8 wins.
- Midseason: Shula gets croomed.
- End of season: Mike who?
- Preseason: McFadden’s a freak; Nutt can’t coach.
- Midseason: McFadden’s a freak; maybe Nutt can coach a little.
- End of season: McFadden’s a freak; Nutt can’t coach.
- Preseason: Tubby gets ready to play the ‘respect’ card.
- Midseason: After Florida, still holding that card.
- End of season: Never mind.
- Preseason: Absolutely loaded. Decent chance to go undefeated.
- Midseason: How did these guys lose two games?
- End of season: Destined to be the SEC’s version of “Groundhog Day“.
- Preseason: At least their women are smokin’.
- Midseason: At least their women are smokin’.
- End of season: At least their women are smokin’.
- Preseason: The football equivalent of a ’73 Chevy Nova.
- Midseason: With a bad transmission.
- End of season: At least ‘Bama was driving a Yugo this year.