Watch this video of Knowshon’s TD run against Auburn to get a feel for the right way to broadcast a college game:
Here’s a few pointers:
- Your play by play guy doesn’t have to sound like a robot.
- There’s nothing wrong with immediately showing a replay of a big play. And showing it more than once.
- Color commentary can be enhanced with replay.
- You don’t have to show endless shots of the bands to impart the flavor of a college game.
- Best of all, no mention of this: Jumpers 2.14.08.
And, no, it’s got nothing to do with the fact that this was such an exciting play – there were plenty of those in the Sugar Bowl, too. CBS just does a better job. I hope the SEC keeps this in mind when the broadcast contract comes up in a year’s time.