With March Madness drawing most of the attention, it’s easy to forget (unless you just won the Terrelle Pryor sweepstakes!) that there are doings in the world of college football, too. Here are a few developments at least worth a comment:
- This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. James Wilson wants to be released from his Gator scholarship, but Urban Meyer won’t do it. So guess who’s going to spring practice.
- Who do you have to kill to get kicked out by Frank Beamer? Considering the past transgressions that Virginia Tech players committed while still being able to salvage their role on the team, you’ve got to wonder what Brandon Ore has done to merit being given the chance “to pursue other opportunities”, to borrow his (ex-)coach’s euphemism. One thing you don’t wonder about is the Hokie depth chart at tailback.
- “There’s only one head coach and you’re stuck with me.” A spring practice with no FOIA requests to fight has to be a little different for Houston Nutt and his cellphone.
- “That’s a sign of a good businessman…” I don’t know how much success Tommy Tuberville and Tony Franklin will have on the field this season, but if this article is any indication, they’ve got a chance to lead the SEC in mixed metaphors and analogies.
- “So far, it’s been a great spring.” Georgia sounds like it’s raring to go on defense.