Once more into the breach, dear friends. Here are a few things worth your brief attention, at least:
- Joel at Rocky Top Talk has run an entertaining series on school logos. One thing’s apparent from his “20 Coolest” post – there’s a direct correlation between how cool the logo and how lame the program is. For the most part, that’s one mediocre bunch. (He ranked Georgia’s in the boring category, in case you’re wondering.)
- I don’t know what struck me as stranger here, the lawsuit or a blog devoted to “video game law”.
- If you’re interested in the journey that suspended Florida lineman Ronnie “You Can Call Me Ron Now” Wilson made to get back on the field, here are some details. As you might surmise, some Gator bloggers have a few choice thoughts about the post. (By the way, if you’ve got thirteen minutes of your life in the near future that you don’t mind wasting, there’s a podcast with Franz Beard here, where you can listen to him ramble on about Wilson for a while.)
- AOL FanHouse’s Pete Holiday thinks Georgia led the SEC in one category last year – ridiculousity.
- You know you want to read about it: More A. J. Green porn here and here.
- Over at Saurian Sagacity, Mergz has a few thoughts about the preseason IT factor.
- And while we’re on the subject of correlations, if you think there’s some linkage between a coach’s ego and the number of pages in a school’s media guide devoted to said coach, you won’t be disappointed in whom Pat Forde finds ranked #1 and #2 in the SEC, per this handy chart (h/t Dawgbone):
SEC Coaches By The Numbers
Here’s a breakdown of the 12 SEC coaches heading into the 2008 season. Note: The salaries came from various media reports.
|Coach||Media Guide Bio||On The Cover?||Record||Pct.||Bowl Record||2008 Salary|
|Rich Brooks, Kentucky||3 pages||Yes||116-144-4||.447||3-3||$1.1M|
|Sylvester Croom, Miss. State||6 pages||Yes||17-30||.362||1-0||$1.7M|
|Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee||4 pages||Yes||147-45||.766||8-7||$2.6M|
|Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt||5 pages||No||20-50||.286||0-0||$1M|
|Urban Meyer, Florida||11 pages||No||70-16||.814||4-1||$3.4M|
|Les Miles, LSU||6 pages||No||62-27||.697||4-2||$3.751M|
|Houston Nutt, Mississippi||6 pages||Yes||80-54||.597||2-5||$1.7M|
|Bobby Petrino, Arkansas||4 pages||Yes||41-9||.820||2-2||$2.85M|
|Mark Richt, Georgia||3 pages||No||72-19||.809||5-2||$2.8M|
|Nick Saban, Alabama||8 pages||No||98-48-1||.670||5-5||$3.75M|
|Steve Spurrier, S. Carolina||6 pages||Yes||163-56-2||.742||7-7||$1.75M|
|Tommy Tuberville, Auburn||7 pages||Yes||105-53||.666||6-3||$2.8M|