A few random things bouncing around my brain that aren’t worth the effort of a full post:
- I think the matchup I’d be most likely to spend my money on today would be Texas Tech’s offense against Southern Cal’s defense. I honestly have no idea who’d win that battle, but it sure would be fun to watch.
- You want to see an example of why the ACC defines mediocrity this year? OK, here’s one. In its titanic 28-17 win over Virginia, Wake Forest punted on every one of its second half possessions. (h/t Dr. Saturday)
- It’s not great what it says about either team, but a look at Vandy’s remaining schedule reveals that the closest thing to a lock for the Commodores to obtain bowl eligibility this season is their home game with Tennessee.
- You know who else is quietly sucking this year? 5-5 Illinois, that’s who, after an ugly loss to Western Michigan. And with remaining games with Ohio State and at Northwestern, there’s a distinct possibility that the Zooker’s crew could be looking at a losing campaign.
- Pittsburgh vs. Cincinnati, for all the marbles in the Big East? The BCS has to be thrilled. The Mountain West has to be puzzled.
- Jarrett Lee. My God, a freshman. My God, four interceptions. Did Les forsee this when he showed Perrilloux the door?
- Speaking of that game, the GPOOE™ ain’t gonna throw four picks in the SECCG. I’ll predict right now if Florida can make John Parker Wilson look ordinary, the Gators win going away.
- With Penn State’s loss, most of the pundits are confidently predicting a Big XII-SEC matchup in the BCS title game. What happens if Missouri pulls off the upset in the Big XII championship game?