I know it’s small consolation for those yearning for a D-1 football playoff, but (unlike last year), there are some pretty good BCS matchups.
The Rose and Fiesta are both compelling, with big time programs all having something to prove. The Sugar isn’t nearly as lopsided as it was last year (and I think Utah could surprise a lot of folks against Alabama). As for the Orange… at least they managed to put the weakest BCS conference teams in the same game. If nothing else, Cincy and Virginia Tech will only clutter up one game, instead of two.
As for the rest, there are more than a few that bear watching, at least for a little while:
- Hawaii. Can Notre Dame avoid another losing season? I hope not.
- PapaJohn’s.com. Don’t laugh. Okay, laugh at the name, but not at NC State or Rutgers. They’ve been two of the hotter teams in the country over the last five or so weeks. Plus, they’re easier to spell.
- Texas. Track meet city.
- Holiday. Ditto. Plus it’s one last chance to see the team that Georgia opens with next season.
- Chick-fil-A. Because I’m a glutton for punishment. Can Georgia Tech win 10 games this season?
- Music City. Vandy’s in a bowl game! That’s worth at least fifteen minutes of my attention.
- Outback. Regardless of who wins, Gamecock fans will start making reservations for the 2009 SECCG about thirty minutes after this one’s over.
- Cap One. Because none of us have any idea which Georgia team will show up. And because it’s probably the last time we’ll see Moreno suit up in the red and black.
- Cotton. Mike Leach’s chance to remind Tennessee and Auburn what they’ll be missing.
- GMAC. Track meet on steroids. Besides, there’s nothing else on that day.