First, it goes without saying that as a Georgia fan, I don’t have a dog in this whole Kiffin-Meyer, Kiffin-Saban hunt, but for me as a college football blogger, Lane Kiffin is manna from heaven. Best of all, he’s just getting warmed up. So when I use the word “final” in the post header, rest assured it’s just a reference to the current fooferaw. With regard to Junior, I feel certain that this is the beginning of a bee-yoo-tee-full relationship.
Anyway, here’s some stuff to chew on, some of it serious, some not so much:
- For all the talk about the resumes of the guys LK has taken on with this, don’t forget that Junior’s got a pretty good one, too. How many coaches can say that by age 33, they’ve been the head coach of an NFL franchise and a major SEC program? I can see why the guy is a little cocky.
- That being said, doesn’t Junior bear a somewhat eerie resemblance to George W. Bush at this point? (Not politically speaking, of course.) Both used their daddies and connections to move up the ladder with a series of gigs that neither proved particularly adept at. If this doesn’t strike you as Junior’s “bring it on” moment, I don’t know what will. And it’s likely to have the same effect: great theater for the true believers, an invitation that will be accepted by the ones it was directed at.
- I think I underestimated the blow to the collective ego of the Volunteer fan base that the last few years of the Fulmer regime delivered. But judging from the almost universal adoration Junior has received from Urnge Nayshun, at least as evidenced by what I’ve seen posted on the Vol message boards, it’s pretty clear that he hasn’t. That’s smart on his part, but at some point in time he’ll have to replace the bravado with wins and titles, won’t he?
- Seriously, Vol fans, give this whole “the SEC is skeered of Lane Kiffin” stuff a rest. People slow down all the time to look at car wrecks. That doesn’t mean they’re afraid of the guy who crashed his three year old Volvo fourteen year old Chevy pickup with the busted tail light.
- HeismanPundit – well played, sir.
- I realize that Meyer is likely buried in a rewrite of his latest book with a new chapter being written entirely in third person references to himself and thus unable to respond, but why, oh why, haven’t we heard from the GPOOE™ by now?
- Oh, about that apology – “if I offended anyone“? If? You mean you’re not sure if calling someone out in public as a cheat would offend them? That’s lame, brother.
- For those of you who have been cracking jokes about which question Junior missed on the recruiting test, don’t you know that Spurrier hates it when you steal his material?
- And for those of you who don’t see any difference between Junior’s comments and The Celebration, at least Mark Richt’s move was directed at lighting a fire under his team so it would play hard. Junior’s likely set his team up for a couple of ass whippings this year just to get a rise out of the fans seven months before the season starts.
- I can’t wait to see what Eric Berry decides to do with his career after this season’s over, particularly if UT only wins six or seven games. If he turns pro, how much credit do you think the Kiffins try to claim for themselves for his success?
That’s all for now anyways.
UPDATE: Jerry, over at The Joe Cribbs Car Wash, has the perfect Auburn perspective on this.
… but forgive me Vol fans, for the time being I’m glad to have the leagues’ new successful-coordinator-but-poor-head-coaching-record head coach who’s got his coachin’ head down and out of the way.