Nothing like New Year’s Day, a comfy chair, a clicker and a nearby bathroom, I always say.
- Could yesterday possibly have gone any worse for the Big East? West Virginia lost to an ACC team that defined mediocrity this season and the less said about Cincinnati’s showing against Florida, the better.
- Speaking of Cinci, the Sugar Bowl folks have to be wondering when they’re going to host a compelling game next… nothing’s been close since the Dawgs lost in 2006.
- The look on Gene Chizik’s face when the Outback Bowl game finally ended was priceless. And as bizarre as the overtime period was, who could blame him?
- Brent Musberger’s gushing about Pryor “growing up before our eyes” sounded like the rabbi at my bar mitzvah. But Herbstreit’s delivery the entire game, at a level somewhere between normal conversation and a shout, was even more irritating. Too bad, because it distracted from a great coaching job by Tressel and his staff.
- Speaking of gushing, if Verne Lundquist and Thom Brennaman had a bet about who could fawn over the GPOOE™ the most, Uncle Verne lost. For the first time in my life, I was grateful for Meyer and Tebow piling up the score, as I was able to avoid watching the second half. Tim, I owe you one, buddy.
- I’m not sure which was more embarrassing, the state of the field for the Cap One, or LSU’s clock management in the last minute of the game.