Dig in, folks.
- CFN takes an early look at the Georgia-Tennessee game. I like UT’s defense (if it stays healthy) more and the Vols’ offensive line a lot less than does CFN, but it’s a pretty fair assessment overall.
- Football Outsiders (which now has a college page you should definitely bookmark) has started its preseason top 25 rankings, which are based on team strength and not where they think teams will finish. What I like about their approach is that it gives weight to how a program has trended over the past five years; it’s a useful counterbalance to a lot of the analysis we see that tends to focus on the here and now. Georgia shows up at #19 and it’s hard to argue with any of the fine points raised there.
- A look at Hayden Fry’s concept of feng shui for the visitor’s locker room at Kinnock Stadium.
- Somehow, I get the feeling that Southern Cal will be a much sought after dance partner for schools in the next two or three seasons.
- It’s hard to make Title IX and football work together.
- Are changes coming to the SEC this season?
- Luther Campbell sure seems to know a lot about what’s going on with Miami’s program.
- Bob Stoops confirms what we already know about the Nebraska-Oklahoma game: it ain’t happening.
- Given his track record, it’s hard to believe that any school would ignore Craig James’ advice, but he’s got an especially appealing sales pitch for Arkansas to leave the SEC and join the Big XII: “You’re right. You’re leaving the best conference in America…”