It’s way too early for this to be a meaningful exercise (it would probably be more informative to do a power poll of last week’s SEC opponents), but at least it’ll be fun.
- Alabama. They came; they saw; they kicked ass.
- South Carolina. I put ’em here because they combined an easy win with the toughest cupcake opponent of the weekend. (I know that’s not saying much.)
- Georgia. Well, why not?
- LSU. Extenuating circumstances no doubt, but it was still a win over a ranked BCS-conference school. The Tigers epitomize the it’s-the-Jimmies-and-Joes-not-the-X’s-and-O’s approach to college football.
- Auburn. They played the exact game I expected to see them play.
- Mississippi State. Whipped up on a bad Memphis team. That’s more than they could have done in years past.
- Arkansas. Before you get too excited, Hog fans, keep in mind that Willie Martinez shut out Tennessee Tech last year without breaking a sweat.
- Florida. It won’t last, but, damn, it feels good to rank the Gators here. As bad as the offense was, though, don’t forget that the defense played quite well.
- Kentucky. Got by a bad Louisville team.
- Tennessee. Somehow, I don’t think the Vols will be leading the country in scoring defense after the Oregon game.
- Vanderbilt. Thanks, Ole Miss.
- Mississippi. You lose to a 1-AA school, this is where you belong, at least for a week.