I managed to get through the replay yesterday. I can’t say I saw anything that changed my live perceptions of the game much, but there were a few things I caught from the broadcast worth noting:
- Matt Millen’s right about one thing. Jarvis Jones is Georgia’s best defender. He was all over the place Saturday. God help ’em if he’s the next linebacker to go down.
- It looks like they’re using Bacarri Rambo a little differently this year. He’s more responsible for pass coverage than he was last year and he looks a lot more comfortable doing it.
- Justin Anderson is a guard playing tackle. He was solid with his run blocking, but he had a rough time trying to handle the speed rush in pass protection.
- Two really, really good receptions: Crowell’s one-handed grab of Murray’s toss over a charging Devin Taylor and Michael Bennett’s amazing catch for the first down of that Murray low dart thrown between two defenders.
- The offside call on the onside kick looked much closer on TV than it did live. I can’t say the ref got it wrong, but it was close enough I’m surprised the flag got thrown in the first place. I’m betting there was some pretty strong lobbying going on over on the SC sideline.
- Jeez, they did a horrible job defending that fake punt. No wonder Richt tossed everything but his underwear on the field watching it.
- After watching the drive that wound up tying the score at 28-all, I’m willing to admit there’s a place for the no-huddle shotgun spread in the Georgia offensive arsenal, as long as Bobo is willing to admit that he needs to commit to throwing slants and screens while running it.
- Another thing Bobo needs to admit is that there has to be a time and place for Murray to run the ball to keep defenses honest. I’d rather see him take the risk of getting hit when he can see where he’s going and have a chance to move than sit back in that shotgun spread and get killed with blitzes.
- One big reason they can’t give up on the good ‘ole I-formation is that Ogletree and Figgins were so good with their blocking.
- Both tailbacks are good receiving options.
- The defense handled the read option play that killed them last year. What killed them this time was Lattimore bouncing outside after they lost contain. Washington got sucked up in the blocking – a lot.
- I hope they don’t wear Brandon Boykin out.
- I really like Grantham’s creativity with blitzes. It was a big reason the ‘Cocks struggled on third down plays all game.
In the end, it’s still a loss. There was more good to take out of this one than the opener, but plenty of problems remain. It’s nice that the schedule lightens up, but there’s zero margin for error. That’s a tough row to hoe.