Game of the Century Week is finally here, but let’s not forget about the titanic slate of games which marked last weekend’s schedule. This version of the Power Poll winds up in the same order as Week 8.
That will not be the case next week, though. Not only do we get the Alabama-LSU match, there’s also Arkansas-South Carolina and a meeting to decide which team really is the conference’s worst.
In the meantime, this will have to do:
- LSU (8-0, 5-0). In getting three key players back from suspension, the Tigers managed to kick the bye week’s ass, too.
- Alabama (8-0, 5-0). This week is the kind of shit Nick Saban has time for.
- Arkansas (7-1, 3-1). A second straight struggle against weaker opposition suggests the Hogs’ defense ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.
- Georgia (6-2, 5-1). It’s unusual for the Dawgs to beat the Gators. It’s astounding for them to do so without playing their best game.
- South Carolina (7-1, 5-1). The OBC gets no help from his alma mater. That’s gotta sting a little.
- Auburn (6-3, 4-2). It looks like the bye week will do the Tigers some good. So did playing Ole Miss.
- Florida (4-4, 2-4). The most ordinary Florida team I’ve seen in a long, long time.
- Vanderbilt (4-4, 1-4). It’s hard to believe, but third place in the division is on the line with this week’s trip to Gainesville.
- Mississippi State (4-4, 1-4). Getting by Kentucky just means that you’re better than an FCS team.
- Tennessee (3-5, 0-5). Starting a true freshman quarterback who’s never thrown a pass in a college game against a top ten defense turned out to be every bit the WTF move we thought it would be.
- Mississippi (2-6, 0-5). We’re about to find out what happens when a resistible force meets a movable object.
- Kentucky (3-5, 0-4). Three of its remaining SEC games are against opponents with a combined 1-14 conference record. But will it matter?