Clearing the decks with a bunch of stuff I didn’t get to over the weekend:
- Nick Saban is already in mid-season form in his media relations.
- Todd Grantham’s response to the question that is asked about the 1:00 mark in this clip is priceless.
- Mike Huguenin likes, but doesn’t love, Georgia’s chances this year.
- Jerry Hinnen, on the other hand, thinks the Dawgs will go as far in the SEC East as their offensive line takes them.
- Matt Melton makes a good point in his SEC preview: if Vanderbilt has a successful 2012 season, how many people are going to knock that down because of its relatively easy schedule?
- Phil Steele looks at how often underdogs win their games outright.
- He also looks at home field edges. Georgia is ranked 12th (fifth best in the SEC). Georgia Tech is 41st.
- College Football by the Numbers is back with a bunch of stuff on a number of topics: how much a kicker is worth (Georgia at minus-4.6 points last season is no surprise, but ‘Bama at minus-5.1 is; also, check out Missouri’s number); what a running back is worth; and average starting field position (Georgia last season was a surprising tenth, and tops in the SEC).
- The Mario Mathis/Ole Miss story sounds like it’s more complicated than what Michael Carvell was told.
- Good catch by Barrett Sallee about the Brandon Smith situation.