After a one year absence, the Mumme Poll, the biggest fan-driven college football poll (okay, probably the only fan-driven college football poll) out there, is indeed back. I owe a great deal of appreciation to Tidefan for his effort in reviving the patient.
Those of you who participated before, nothing has changed. The site is still at the same place. Tidefan tells me that your old registrations have been saved. For those of you readers here of a more recent vintage, you can get the background on the MP and how approval voting works here.
The format is unchanged. There are four simple rules to follow to take part.
- Registration. To cast a ballot, you’ll need to register at the Mumme Poll site. Registration each season is limited to the week leading up to and through the games of week five.
- Voting period. In most weeks, balloting takes place at any time between 9:00 A.M. on the Sunday after the games and 9:00 P.M. on the following Monday. On those rare weeks when a Sunday game is played, the voting is pushed back 24 hours.
- Ballot format. A ballot must contain votes for ten schools and a top team selected from those schools (used as a tiebreaker only).
- The one commandment. Don’t try to game the system. Don’t subvert the vote by submitting a ballot with your favorite school and the nine worst teams in D-1, for example. The ballots are monitored and if something questionable comes up, a voter will be given a chance to explain. If we’re convinced there’s a deliberate effort to muck things up, we’ll toss the ballot and the voter.
As has always been the case, the Week Five vote will be a trial run to make sure everybody – including us – knows what they’re doing. So if you mess up, it’s not the end of the world. Things begin in earnest after Week Six.
A few housekeeping notes to bring to your attention:
- Things will be a little more stripped down going forward than they were. For one thing, we just don’t have the time to spend heavily monitoring every little thing that goes on. For another, I think we’ve already proved our point that the Coaches Poll would be improved by using approval voting, so we’ll settle for having fun. Since you’re no longer playing the role of control group, don’t worry if you miss a ballot or two. As long as you are registered, you can vote.
- I hate to have to bring this up, but it would be appreciated if you wouldn’t behave like a horse’s ass. It’s just a fan poll. Please don’t feel the need to troll by making up a ridiculous ballot to disrupt things. It won’t work, as we’ll toss your ballot and ban you from voting again. And don’t bother whining about the First Amendment if that happens – yes, people have – because we’re not from the government and we’re not here to help you.
- That’s not to say that if you’re some sort of geek/nerd with an evaluation system you’ve worked out and want to use, you can’t let your freak flag fly. Just explain your rationale to us in the comment section of your ballot and we’ll leave in peace.
- Please use that comment section for that purpose only, to explain something about your vote. If you want to share your ballot with others, do that here. I’ll post my MP ballot every Monday morning and the weekly rankings every Tuesday at GTP. Use the comment sections to both for discussion.
Enough with the rules. Go sign up/make sure you’re registered. Tell your friends. The more, the merrier.
Let us know if you have any questions, of course.