Some pretty neat stuff about the LSU offense from UGASports.com‘s Jake Rowe:
• 1st Down – Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron has chosen to go with the run game just a tad under 70% of the time in 2013.
• Second down and long (7 or more yards) – This down and distance is also a run heavy down for the Tigers as they keep the ball on the ground 54% of the time.
• Second down and medium (4-6 yards)- Second and medium is another situation where the Tigers like to run the football. Cameron has called on the running game 63% of the time in 2013 in this situation.
• Second down and short(less than 4 yards) – The Tigers keep the ball on the ground 68% of the time on this down and distance.
• Third down and long – This is a pass-heavy down as the Tigers have gone to the air 82% of the time. This is also a down where LSU tends to max protect with the offensive line, running backs, and tight end.
• Third down and medium – This is second pass-heavy down and distance for LSU at 77% pass.
• Third down and short – The Tigers tend to keep it on the ground on third and short with a run rate of 79%.
Nothing very tricky there. This really is shaping up as a game in which the team that executes best wins, pure and simple.