Is Jimmy Sexton the Nick Saban of coaches’ agents, or is Nick Saban the Jimmy Sexton of agents’ coaches?
Daily Archives: November 5, 2013
A simple question
Filed under It's Just Bidness, Nick Saban Rules
One good thing about faking injuries
Rogers Redding has an itch he can’t scratch.
Speaking generally, Redding expressed concern about ethical issues involved with faking injuries. Officials are instructed to treat injuries as if they are real and to stop play.
“There’s nothing the officiating community can do about it, and there may be nothing the rules committee can do about it,” Redding said.
Boy, that’s gotta suck.
Filed under The NCAA
Mark Richt straps on his inner Dooley.
Appalachian State is 2-7 and checks in at 167 in this week’s Sagarin rankings. But the Mountaineers remind Mark Richt of a more formidable opponent.
Any moment now, I’m sure we’ll hear about how ASU’s long snappah is the finest in all the FCS.
Scare them boys, Mark. What’s the over/under on the number of times the coaches mention Michigan this week?
Filed under Georgia Football
Mumme Poll, Week 10
Here you go:
Rank Team Votes (Top pick) 1 Alabama 32 (18) 2 Florida State 32 (9) 3 Oregon 32 (3) 4 Baylor 32 (2) 5 Ohio State 31 6 Stanford 30 7 Missouri 27 8 Clemson 26 9 Auburn 18 10 LSU 14 11 Oklahoma 12 12 Michigan State 7 12 Oklahoma State 7 14 Wisconsin 5 15 South Carolina 4 16 Texas A&M 3 16 Fresno State 3 18 Georgia 1 18 Arizona State 1 18 Miami 1 18 UCF 1 18 Northern Illinois 1
- Can I just say it’s impressive that Georgia will wind up facing five teams on that list in the regular season?
- Ohio State has played one. And won’t likely see any more.
- No Notre Dame bias here.
- Obviously, some of y’all disagree with my assessment of Auburn and LSU.
- UCF gets more votes (okay, vote) than Louisville? Interesting.
- By conference affiliation: SEC – 7; Big 12 – 3; Pac 12 – 3; ACC – 3; Big Ten – 3; MWC – 1; AAC – 1; MAC – 1.
Filed under Mumme Poll
Tuesday morning buffet
Dig in, peeps.
- Injury report: Gurley practiced, Matthews is a full go, Lynch’s ribs hurt and no Conley.
- Malcolm Mitchell starts a trend, as a Kentucky receiver goes down with an ACL injury incurred while celebrating.
- This whole piece is based on a faulty premise. Everyone knows Florida didn’t start playing football until 1990.
- News of more recent vintage: the Gators may wind up finishing unranked for the third time in four years. Ouch.
- It’s not so much that I question the data here – honestly, I have no idea if TAMU is fudging the numbers or not – it’s that I’m more than a little surprised that the school is pushing a story like that.
- If I gave out a commenter of the year award at GTP, it would have to go to one of the guys who pimped Aaron Murray’s bad QBR.
- Justin Scott-Wesley shows remorse. Jimmy Williamson smiles.
- Douche nozzle of the week award goes to… Dan Sileo.
Gurley’s aggression shall not stand, man.
A jorts wearer unleashes his sense of outrage.
Dash, How in the world does [Todd] Gurley not get tossed for throwing a punch right in front of two officials on Saturday? Not saying my Gators would have won anyway, but there were some ridiculous calls, and we got Gurley throwing left hooks and not even getting flagged. Is this something the league will review?
Edward Aschoff (12:06 PM)
Both were pretty blatant, and I’m surprised he didn’t even get flagged for them. Pretty bad. The league can still review the film and take action afterward. Gurley lost his cool. Can’t do that.
How can that be? Those Gator defenders were just minding their own business when Todd goes all Hulk on them. The SEC office can’t let that kind of unprovoked behavior go… wait, what?
Oh. Uh, never mind.
Stay classy, Gator fans. And kudos to the refs for exercising some judgment under touchy circumstances.
Filed under Gators, Gators..., Georgia Football
The unequivocal special teams success story of 2013
… is Marshall Morgan, who, as we sit here this morning, leads the SEC in points per game and the entire country in field goals made per game. He’s perfect on all 22 of his extra point attempts, as well.
He’s also the only SEC kicker to make the list of Lou Groza Award semifinalists. Emerson describes Morgan as “the team’s best bet right now to be an All-SEC pick” and that may very well turn out to be the case. And don’t forget, this has all happened after he was suspended for the first two games of the season.
Anybody see it coming? Bueller? Bueller?
Filed under Georgia Football
Musical palate cleanser, we don’t have the time for psychological romance edition
Don’t ask me the how or why of this, but Cameo’s “Word Up” earwormed its way into my group’s collective consciousness this past weekend, becoming the unofficial theme song of the trip.
Here’s the released music video, from back in the day when MTV ruled the world and patent leather codpieces were in style:
Sounds like victory.
Filed under Uncategorized