Chris Low engages in a fun exercise, asking the musical question “Other than [Herschel] Walker, who are those SEC players no longer playing that I’d most like to see play again?”
He’s got his list; I’d thought I’d share mine. In no particular order,
- Bo Jackson. Honestly, I’m surprised Low didn’t have Bo on his list. Herschel may have been the better football player, but Bo was right there with him as an athlete. He was an amazing baseball player, someone who combined power and speed freakishly. He was something else to watch on the football field, too, for the same reasons.
- Hines Ward. Herschel’s the greatest, but Hines is my favorite Dawg. He could do it all – and he was asked to do it all, too.
- Derrick Thomas. Low’s right about this guy. Just dominant. And why isn’t he in the College Football Hall of Fame?
- Reggie White. He didn’t stay healthy his entire college career, but when he was on, he may have been the scariest dude I’ve ever seen on a football field.
- Tim Couch. This one is more symbolic than the other picks. I really enjoyed watching the Air Raid take flight at Kentucky. Couch should have won a Heisman his last year there.