Chip Towers catches up with the former Georgia player who’s one of the plaintiffs in the new wave of concussion-related lawsuits filed earlier this week, and it’s just so sad.
In an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Thursday, Hermann said he suffers from severe memory loss. He said he has been undergoing medical treatment and getting tests from neurologists and his family doctor to try to determine if the symptoms that he suffers are the result of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (or CTE).
However, Hermann did not want to talk about the specifics of his case due to the pending litigation.
“This thing has taken on a life of its own,” he said before going off the record. “I’m a very private person. … I’ve had reporters calling me all week and I’m like, ‘this is not what I was signed up for.’”
Hermann would say only that his cognitive skills have been deteriorating rapidly over the last several years and blames it on 18 years of playing football, and those three years in Athens in particular.
In the suit itself, Hermann claims that he suffered “numerous concussions” while practicing and playing special teams for Georgia in from 1984-86 and has suffered memory loss as a result. The suit specifically references a hit Hermann took on a kickoff in which he “saw stars.”
Georgia is not named specifically in the suit. It targets the NCAA and the Southeastern Conference.
“I love UGA,” Hermann said. “This isn’t about them.”
Dignity, a love of the program… and the realization that something stemming from his playing days is wrong and getting worse. I’m not sure how I would handle all of that were I in his shoes. Wishing him the best seems inadequate, but it’s all I have to offer.