So the P5 conferences announced with some fanfare yesterday a series of proposals to give student-athletes back some of their free time that has been steadily encroached upon over the years
in the name of amateurism because college coaches are paid ever increasing big bucks to win. They even gave the proposals a catchy name, Flex 21.
What’s interesting about the proposals themselves is how they illustrate the degree to which these kids have had their time in college taken away from them.
• No countable athletically related activities during one calendar day per week
• Travel day related to athletics participation may be considered a day off
• Travel days may not count as days off
• No countable athletically related activities during two calendar days per week outside the season.
• 14 Additional Days off. Can be used during or outside the season
• No countable athletically related activities between midnight and 5 a.m.
• 8-hour block of free time, any time between 9:00 pm to 6:00 am.
• Varies by sport
• 7-day recovery time
I’m sure many of you are prepared to jump up and loudly proclaim that this is what student-athletes bargained for when they received their scholarships, but I’m just wondering how many other college kids on scholarship have had to surrender their lives to such an extent.
In all, it’s pretty pathetic. Good thing playing D-1 football is not a job.