Really, yesterday’s Oklahoma-Texas Tech shoot out was just flat out nuts. Really.
Here’s a list of some notable numbers from the game.
– The teams set an NCAA record by combining for 1,708 yards of total offense. Appropriately, each team had 854 yards of offense.
– Mahomes set an NCAA record with 819 yards of total offense in a game. He also tied the NCAA mark for passing yards with 734.
– Mahomes threw 88 passes. He just missed the NCAA record of 89 set by Washington State’s Connor Halliday.
– Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield was 27-of-36 for 545 yards and seven touchdowns. The seven scoring passes set a school record.
– Mahomes and Mayfield set NCAA records with 1,279 combined passing yards and 1,383 yards of total offense by two players.
– Sooners running back Joe Mixon scored five touchdowns, two on runs and three on receptions. He finished with 263 rushing on 31 carries and 4 receptions for 114 yards to become the first player in school history to reach 200 yards rushing and 100 receiving in the same game.
– The 125 combined points was just behind the NCAA record of 136 set by Navy and North Texas in 2007. The 125 points are the second-most in a game involving a ranked team.
– Texas Tech ran 109 total plays and was 20-for-25 on third-down conversions.
– Oklahoma ran 76 plays and averaged 11.2 yards per play.
The Big 12 is drunk. When you’ve got a team that was pushed as a national title contender at the beginning of the season playing like that, hell, why not add a couple of AAC teams? They’d fit right in.