The coaching chairs continue to swirl, among other developments:
- UCF has hired Mizzou’s Josh Heupel as its next coach. As someone who was impressed with the job Heupel did this season, that’s a pretty good hire in my mind and it will be interesting to see which way Missouri goes in trying to keep the conference’s top offense going. UCF also tabbed Randy Shannon as the new DC.
- South Carolina is expected to dump Kurt Roper as its offensive coordinator, per Dan Wolken. Kind of surprising in that Boom used to be Roper’s biggest fan. Is Brian McClendon about to get a bump, or could Muschamp do something crazier, like bring in Hugh Freeze?
- It sounds like Phil Fulmer has accepted reality and recognized that the situation in Knoxville is too toxic for an established coach. The search appears to have focused on Saban assistants — how creative! — Kevin Steele and Tee Martin. Good luck with that, Vols.
- Meanwhile, after being rebuffed by Gus Malzahn, Arkansas looks to be staying sane by going after Chad Morris, who is an excellent offensive mind, has head coaching experience and, perhaps most significantly, good ties to Texas recruiting.
- Ole Miss doesn’t need a head coach, but may very well need bodies after the school announced that it will allow its players to speak to any other program they want in considering a transfer. Jim Harbaugh appears eager to take Ole Miss up on its generous offer. (I can’t wait to hear Jim Delany talk about SEC players again.)