September 20, 2018 · 12:52 PM
Barrett Sallee’s preview of Georgia-Missouri…
It’s a cliche, but it’s true. In college football, you have to run the ball and play defense to win at an elite level, and Missouri just isn’t running the ball as effectively as it needs to in order to be a threat in the SEC East. The Tigers are averaging just 4.41 yards per attempt (No. 12 in the SEC), and is going up against a defense that is giving up just 3.38. Drew Lock, Emanuel Hall and Missouri’s passing attack will test the Georgia secondary a little bit, but the Bulldogs will pound Missouri to a point where it can key in on the pass and force Lock into mistakes. Meanwhile, Bulldogs quarterback Jake Fromm (completing 80.4 percent of his passes) shouldn’t have any problem dissecting a Tigers pass defense that is the second-worst in the conference (305 yards per game). Pick: Georgia (-14)
… puts me in mind of something. I’m not seeing the pundits line up this week to proclaim this game as a potential upset special like the last time this Dawg team traveled to a place called Columbia. (Not that I’m accusing Barrett of doing that; it’s just that his take reminded me of others’ South Carolina warnings.)
Does that mean Georgia won’t get Missouri’s best shot?
September 20, 2018 · 12:45 PM
I about fell on the floor this morning when I saw Bill Connelly’s projection for the Florida – Tennessee game.
An Ohio State fan provides the perfect finish.
September 20, 2018 · 7:14 AM
Wisconsin chancellor’s threat made during her Alston testimony that the school could drop its athletics program if it has to start paying student-athletes was sufficiently over-the-top such that the athletic department felt the need to walk it back in an official statement denying that the school had any intention of shuttering it.
They’re probably the only people on the planet who took her seriously in the first place.
September 20, 2018 · 7:05 AM
All part of college football’s rich pageant:
- Peak Grantham: “While Colorado State is less of a challenge than the Wildcats, Todd Grantham saw some positive improvements from his defensive unit.” Does that include the Fightin’ Bobos’ 38 minutes of possession?
- “At various points in the past three seasons, each of the top three teams in this week’s Amway Coaches Poll have leaned on a true freshman…”
- “NCAA announces it will require schools to pay for tuition, fees and books for basketball players who leave after at least two years and want to return to their same school to get undergraduate degree.” Why at least two years there? Why do you think?
- Classy gesture, kids: “The North Carolina football team is helping with relief efforts following the devastation of Hurricane Florence by donating per diem allotments…”
- Per Dave Matter, Mizzou’s best receiver has been nursing a groin injury and its best defensive back suffered a concussion against Purdue. (Both are expected to play Saturday.)
- Missouri’s running game should expect to receive Georgia’s defense’s best shot.
- Larry Scott is all pissy about that California judge’s tentative ruling that show-cause order provisions in the NCAA bylaws violate California law.
September 20, 2018 · 6:52 AM
May this be the start of a trend:
You would think schools would want to do everything in their power to make sure fans are properly hydrated in 90-degree weather, but what do I know?
Anyway, well done, Auburn.
September 20, 2018 · 6:43 AM