No change at the top, but lots of fun below.
As you can see, once again there is no unanimous selection. We are a picky bunch.
Total responses picked up this week, to 252, so it’s good to see that we’re not losing interest. Average number of teams per ballot remained pretty constant, at 6.2. (Not so coincidentally, look where the ballot percentage drops under 50%.)
Breakdown by conference:
Participation by state saw a slight decline by Georgians, to around 60%.
Time breakdown didn’t change much to speak of, which is no surprise.
Aaron Murray won the quarterback poll going away, with about 44% of the total vote.
Last but not least, here’s what last night’s selection committee rankings look like:
Shits and giggles, thoughts and observations, etc.
- You can quibble about who should be number one (the selection committee did), but we and they remain unanimous as to which four teams should be in the CFP, going into the conference championship games.
- Tier One (teams appearing on at least 90% of ballots cast) hasn’t changed in weeks — not that it should have. Georgia hovers just outside.
- Alabama is the big story, of course, not so much because of where we spotted the Tide, but because of where the selection committee placed it. The AP and Coaches Poll ranked ‘Bama 10th and 9th, respectively, so there isn’t a broad consensus for where it should be ranked. Ordinarily, that might not be such a big deal, but that selection committee ranking just about guarantees Nick Saban won’t be coaching in a NY6 bowl game this season. That’s a shame.
- Virginia sticks its nose up out of the water, thus presenting Clemson with a dilemma. If the ‘Hoos get destroyed in the ACCCG (they’re 29-point underdogs), they’re likely out of both top 25 lists. Does Dabo secretly hope Virginia makes a game of it with the Tigers, for the good of the conference’s reputation?
- Almost feel sorry for Wisconsin, who climbed back up both rankings, only to face an Ohio State team that’s already obliterated them once this season again.
There will be one final poll after this weekend’s games. In the meantime, your thoughts?