Here is the conference order, by net yards per play, with the offensive ypp and defensive ypp, respectively, in parenthesis. This week, I added the week-to-week change in the net figure (Stats via cfbstats.com.)
- Alabama: 2.65 (8.66; 6.01) [net change: +.01]
- Georgia: 1.57 (5.27; 3.70) [net change: +.27]
- Florida: 1.29 (7.61; 6.32) [net change: -.46]
- Mississippi State: 1.20 (5.44; 4.24) [net change: -.55]
- Kentucky: 0.19 (5.37; 5.18) [net change: +.30]
- Missouri: -0.09 (6.17; 6.26) [net change: +.87]
- TAMU: -0.12 (6.63; 6.75) [net change: +.10]
- South Carolina: -0.15 (5.42; 5.57) [net change: +1.56]
- Arkansas: -0.21 (4.86; 5.07) [net change: +.14]
- Tennessee: -0.32 (5.10; 5.42) [net change: -.87]
- Auburn: -0.44 (5.22; 5.66) [net change: +.53]
- LSU: -0.66 (6.34; 7.00) [net change: -.45]
- Ole Miss: -1.35 (7.44; 8.79) [net change: -.63]
- Vanderbilt: -3.30 (3.95; 7.25) [net change: -.14]
Here’s the current order for turnover margin.
- +6: LSU
- +3: Georgia
- +2: Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee
- +1: Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky
- 0: South Carolina
- -1: Florida, Vanderbilt
- -2: TAMU
- -5: Missouri
- -9: Mississippi State
- I bet Muschamp wishes he could play Vandy every week.
- The drop in Ole Miss’ net ypp suggests that game wasn’t quite as close as it seemed.
- Playing each other, both Arkansas and Auburn managed to improve their net ypp this week.
- There is almost a five yard gap between Alabama’s offensive ypp and Georgia’s defensive ypp. Something’s gotta give.
- That Mississippi State turnover margin. Sheesh.
19 responses to “This week, in SEC net ypp”
LSU is +6 in turnover margin, has played three bottom feeders and is 1-2. That’s hard to do.
LikeLiked by 6 people
Can alabama keep that up against this defense with a qb who can’t move?
LikeLiked by 1 person
Obviously not. The question is whether or not they can get around 6 YPP (LSU gained 6.5 for comparison’s sake) and whether or not Georgia’s offense can do the same to their defense.
That’s the key. Force Jones out of the pocket and see if he can make Burrow like passes. If he can beat us that way, well then they are just better. We can’t let him stand back there because their WRs are too good and will find ways to get open.
I think Jones ran the Wing in HS so I guess he can run but I don’t think he has nearly the elusiveness of Nix or Corral. If opposing QBs can’t move in the pocket our pass rush will eat them alive.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Jones hasn’t been super mobile, but he actually has a talent for getting off accurate throws with some zip as he is about to get popped. Not something you see much of anymore. He also moves well in the pocket. And his line is superb at pass blocking.
He threw a pick on the move against Ole Miss, but the guy dropped it.
So if jones isn’t effective does saban put in a backup at the half?
Too soon …
It will be forever too soon.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Net change is very intriguing.
Old MIss had it get away from them in the late part of the fourth. That’s what hurt their numbers and padded ‘Bamas. Had the tail end gone like the rest of the game the numbers would be more telling. (of what, who knows. The better teams play backups in garbage time and it hurts their numbers).
And their defense was historically terrible. As in of all the possible yards Bama could have gained on their possessions, they got all but 41 of them or so.
Knowing coach speak is just that…how much can the vandy players believe its gonna get better next week…week in and week out
We need to reek as much havoc as possible on Jones because they live and breath the one-on-one deep ball.
LSU is +6 in turnovers and still sucks? Wow, Pellini is doing a great job!
Bama’s offensive YPP is artificially high after that OM game. I am convinced Kiffen’s strategy was to let Bama score so his offense could just keep pace until the end of the game. If he gets the TD and not the FG with 3 minutes left, he lets Bama score quickly and goes for the TD and 2 pt conversion to win. And it almost worked.
It was 7.79 before the Ole Miss game. How high do you think it should be?
“Playing each other, both Arkansas and Auburn managed to improve their net ypp this week.”
Damn, that says a lot about both teams. Pit Boss is working on taking some lemons and making lemonade, imo.
I also think it’s funny that we heard so much about Mullen’s QB development, and Franks is clearly better at Arkansas than he ever was at Florida.
LikeLiked by 2 people
We need a category for “game changing SEC officiating screw-up.” It’s becoming that common.
How will the striped clowns make their presence felt next week? I’m hoping they decide to “let the players decide the game” and just try to be invisible. That always rewards the better defense. I’ll take Pickens wrestling all game long over Waddle.