Eight Tennessee football staff members rejected pay cuts that were proposed by the athletic department to help combat financial losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, according to documents obtained by Knox News via a public records request.
The eight staff members are the only athletic department employees who were asked to accept a pay cut and declined, records show.
Wide receivers coach Tee Martin and running backs coach Jay Graham are the only football assistants who have accepted pay cuts.
Declining pay cuts were:
- Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney
- Defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley
- Offensive line coach Will Friend
- Quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke
- Inside linebackers coach Brian Niedermeyer
- Outside linebackers coach Shelton Felton
- Tight ends coach Joe Osovet
- Strength and conditioning coach A.J. Artis
Tennessee’s athletic department expects a $40 million loss in revenue during this fiscal year, largely because of a pandemic-induced reduction in football revenue.
Vol fans are pissed at Chaney, in particular, about this, but what did they expect when UT basically hired him away from Smart’s staff by throwing money at him? Mercenaries don’t work on the cheap, even in the tough times.