Looking at Dasher’s breakdown of the 2022 defense, all I can say is that Kirby’s done the Lord’s work on the recruiting trail. Yeah, there is some formidable experience walking away, but there are plenty of talented bodies ready to step up and fill some holes.
Quick takes, by position group:
- D-line. Jordan Davis will be missed, but it’s not as if Jalen Carter is chopped liver. I worry, relatively speaking, about how they replace Travon Walker’s freakish athleticism.
- OLB. Two returning starters from season’s end, plus some really talented youngsters. My guess is they’ll figure it out.
- ILB. My favorite position group of 2021 is gutted, but again, there are players behind them. I am really big on Dumas-Johnson’s future.
- Safety/Star. As a returning group, they are the 2022 equivalent of the 2021 defensive line — plenty of experience and talent coming back, especially if Poole’s CFP performance wasn’t a mirage.
- Cornerback. There is talent, but a lot of it is green. Like last year, this is the most likely place I see Georgia going to the transfer portal for a reinforcement or two.