Oh, wait… you were serious about that?
Category Archives: ACC Football
It was a night game. Fisher comes out of the Nick Saban school of micromanagement. And we’re supposed to believe that FSU’s staff had all day to get their act together and didn’t.
Yeah, I’d say Winston was tremendously effected by that, my man. Tree-men-dous-ly.
Jameis Winston really doesn’t get it.
The thing is, the school looks even dumber covering for him.
Now comes word that the reigning Heisman Trophy winner is suspended for the entirety of the Clemson game.
Winston, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner for the top-ranked Seminoles, originally had been suspended for just the first half against the visiting Tigers after a profane and sexually explicit outburst in the student union on campus earlier this week.
But Florida State decided to extend his suspension to the entire game because Winston was not entirely truthful or forthcoming regarding Tuesday’s incident, a source told ESPN.
“Based upon the results of our continuing investigation of Tuesday’s incident involving Jameis Winston, we have decided to not play him for the entire game against Clemson on Saturday night,” interim Florida State president Garnett S. Stokes and athletic director Stan Wilcox said in a joint statement Friday night.
There’s no question that Winston’s got some serious maturity issues, but, honestly, after the school has repeatedly enabled his earlier bad behavior, why should there be any shock on officials’ behalf that he wasn’t entirely forthcoming about what he did? It’s worked before.
Note also the absence of Jimbo Fisher’s name from the joint statement. That’s probably not a good thing for the football program. Add in the inevitable rumor mongering, and it’s hard to think Gus Malzahn isn’t already making preparations.
Here’s another example of why there’s no money in college football to pay players.
Can’t Jimbo just outsource this problem to the baseball coach again?
Slide up and load a plate.
- Fans get to vote on where the Goodyear Blimp shows up opening weekend. Georgia vs. Clemson is one option.
- Groo has some thoughts about the Star position.
- Phil Steele, the New York Times and conference predictions.
- Paul Myerberg has Auburn at #9 on his preseason preview list. (He thinks Kansas State is more likely to beat the Tigers than Georgia.)
- It sounds like Ramik Wilson’s coaches are trying to send him a message.
- John Sununu thinks it’s time to tax college athletics.
- It’s a sign of what people think of the NCAA that some thought Oklahoma’s request for a waiver for Dorial Green-Beckham to play this season might be approved. It wasn’t.
- Think there’s much of a talent gap in the ACC? One conference coach does: “According to one ACC coach, FSU is so stocked with talent across its depth chart that he believes about half the league’s teams do not have one player who would start for Florida State this year based on what he’s seen on film.”