Category Archives: The Coaches Poll Is Stupid.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the one unalloyed success of the CFP is to make moments like this one completely irrelevant.
That Bert’s embarrassed is a nice bonus, though.
Yes, America’s least relevant vote is here again, for what it’s worth. Georgia starts out ranked sixteenth, also for what it’s worth.
Let’s clear the decks with a few tidbits I’ve been saving.
- What do the records look like after “a longtime coach who won more than two-thirds of his games was fired or forced into resigning, in recent years”? (h/t Chuck Kraemer)
- You may be excited by all the head coaching changes, but Houston Nutt is bummed out.
- Sheldon Dawson wrote a nice letter about Coach Richt after the firing.
- During the interview process, Boom promised a “new attitude” towards offense. Heh.
- Conferences are spreading the bowl money around more.
- Ed Aschoff has some job advice for Kirby Smart.
- The final Coaches Poll ballot came out yesterday, if you care. And, yeah, the coaches still do what they’ve always done.
- Kirby Smart talks about his first staff hire.
- This doesn’t sound good: “The NCAA disregarded the truth in the Reggie Bush case to reach a “predetermined conclusion” against the USC football program, casting new doubt about whether the Trojans should have been slammed with penalties in the case, according to a ruling Monday by a California appeals court.”
For some reason, the Coaches Poll makes its 2015 appearance next week.
And just a reminder about the one unquestioned achievement of the CFP:
The Coaches Poll used to count for one-third of the formula that was used to determine the BCS standings and national championship participants, but is not part of the determination of the College Football Playoff, which uses a selection committee to determine participating teams.
That’s almost enough by itself to make me stomach a sixteen-team playoff field. Almost.
In Jimbo Fisher’s case, leaving Georgia off your final ballot is an opportunity to let the world know how much your butt still hurts from losing your defensive coordinator to Mark Richt. Nice.