Say what you will about the bathrooms at Sanford Stadium, we’ve never heard a PA announcement like this:
Category Archives: Whoa, oh, Alabama
Time for a little college football nosh.
- Sam Cunningham reminisces about Southern Cal’s 1970 win over Alabama.
- The death of rivalries: “Know what? The people counting the viewers and signing the massive network television deals could not care less.” True dat.
- Ole Miss bans ‘Dixie’ at home football games.
- “Before the injury, Chubb had averaged 149 yards and 1.4 touchdowns per game through five games, and that includes a 146 yards and a 7.3 yards per carry performance against Alabama. If you extrapolate those numbers across a 13-game season, Chubb finishes 2015 with 1,937 yards and 18 touchdowns.”
- Today, in Baylor, part one.
- Today, in Baylor, part two. (Friend of the blog Ed Kilgore ponders what Starr could do, now that he has some spare time on his hands.)
- If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to plan your SEC game of the week watching around matching recipes, Southern Living is there for you.
Nick Saban has time for this shit:
Across the street from the Alabama practice fields are several apartment complexes, the upper units with porches high enough to provide a good view of the practice fields. Alabama has an agreement with one of the complexes that they will write into people’s leases that they not stand outside and watch football practice.
That would be a fun eviction hearing to watch.
With the Maurice Smith news coming out last night, I was curious what the reaction of the Alabama fan base might be in response.
Andy Staples’ Twitter feed from last night is full of ‘Bama folks who nobly profess to be worried about Pandora’s Box being opened on the graduate transfer front (many of whom lay out some version of a “I’m not saying this as an Alabama fan” qualification). That might carry more weight if they’d have taken the same tack when Chris
Brown Black transferred… or when Saban took a graduate transfer from Ole Miss earlier this year.
The whole opening the flood gates thing rings a little false when you consider that the SEC rule doesn’t ban all of them, just
inter-conference intra-conference ones. From that standpoint, even Bert’s “don’t allow ’em, because secret info” justification makes more sense.
Meanwhile, the tone of this thread at the SEC Rant message board seems to be mainly about Tide fans complaining about Saban’s manhood. Weird.
I point this out not in an attempt to gloat — let’s remember that Smith was competing to be the starting nickle back in Saban’s defense this season, hardly the stuff that first-team All-Americans are made of — but simply because I’m rather amazed that people who support a program that’s had a run of success that’s the envy of every other program in college football can find a topic like this to be heated about. I guess you could say I’m a little jealous of their attitude.
Damn it, ‘Bama.
How could you walk away from this?
Okay, it may not have been pretty, but it was so ‘Bama.