Tag Archives: Joe Paterno
More tasty morsels for your reading pleasure:
- Lots of early contenders for the Fulmer Cup lead, including Ole Miss.
- For everyone advocating the SEC ending divisional play as a means of straightening out football scheduling, it hasn’t done much for basketball.
- Good news! To accommodate DISH, the SEC Network is moving its launch date up a couple of weeks. That means we can have more PAWWWLLL.
- “Mike McQueary confided to a dozen Nittany Lions players that he could relate to the helplessness of the young boy he had seen with Sandusky in a campus shower a decade earlier because he was abused as a boy…” Too bad his experience didn’t motivate him to respond in a better way.
- Georgia is the only SEC team facing two BCS conference opponents this season.
- “South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward and his staff were in Austin last Friday, Saturday and Sunday to talk strategy with new Texas coach Charlie Strong and his defensive staff.” While we’re passing rule changes, you know one I’d like? A rule prohibiting defensive coordinators of teams on Georgia’s schedule from consulting with Charlie Strong.
- And don’t forget the NCAA’s football rules committee has its review of the 10-second substitution proposal scheduled today.
I don’t know about you, but Oliver Stone would have been my first pick for this project. Some paranoid conspiracy vibes could add just the right touch to the story. Plus, football is a familiar subject for Stone and Pacino.
On the other hand, the movie gives De Palma the chance to bring an entirely new context to the phrase “say hello to my little friend“.
Say adios to JoePa’s statue.
The famed statue of Joe Paterno was taken down from outside the Penn Statefootball stadium Sunday, eliminating a key piece of the iconography surrounding the once-sainted football coach accused of burying child sex abuse allegations against a retired assistant.
Workers lifted the 7-foot-tall statue off its base and used a forklift to move it into Beaver Stadium as the 100 to 150 students watching chanted, “We are Penn State.”
What you are is about to get pounded on all over by the NCAA, folks.
CBS News has learned that the NCAA will announce what a high-ranking association source called “unprecedented” penalties against both the Penn State University football team and the school.
“I’ve never seen anything like it,” the source told correspondent Armen Keteyian.
Can I get an “oh, shit!” from the congregation?
It sure smells like somebody’s in a hurry to take advantage of the situation with a good old-fashioned power grab. I hope this doesn’t turn out to be one of those circumstances where the cure is worse than the disease, considering how bad the latter is.