This week’s ballot took longer to construct than last week’s. It’s all Georgia Tech’s fault.
REST OF THE BEST
- Boise State
- Georgia Tech
- Southern Cal
- Virginia Tech
- Damn you, Georgia Tech – and not for the usual reasons. Naturally, after proclaiming that Virginia Tech was playing some of the best football in the country, I’m rewarded with the Hokies going into Atlanta and dropping one to the Jackets. Stupid Hokies. Georgia Tech scoring 28 didn’t surprise me, but watching the Tech defense hold the Va. Tech to 23 did.
- And while I’m at it, damn you too, ACC. I’ve got three ACC teams in my top twelve. I don’t like doing that, but I can’t see any way around it. And you just know one of the three is going to drop a game it shouldn’t. One of the three? What am I talking about? It’ll be a mild upset if all three of them don’t lose a game like that.
- LSU needs to start showing up and dominating some games. It’s getting harder and harder to keep TCU out of my top twelve.
- The easiest part of this ballot was the part of the top five that didn’t involve Cincinnati. I moved the Bearcats up because they’ve got two solid road wins on their resume and continue to play sound, resourceful football. I agree with the majority sentiment out there that Brian Kelly will be movin’ on up next season to a more prominent coaching job.
- I couldn’t bring myself to put Notre Dame in my top twelve after Charlie Weis scored another memorable signature loss.
- Sure, it was an ugly win for Southern Cal, but so what? If the Trojans truly are a flawed team, that’ll come out in the wash of the remaining schedule. Don’t forget that USC has beaten three ranked teams already; nobody in the country has more wins against ranked opponents.