You could call the games of the weekend a confirmation, as the order of my power poll didn’t change.
- Auburn. This week, Cam Newton tries his hand at punt returns.
- Alabama. Conference-wise, the off week didn’t have much effect, but nationally, it was a very good weekend for the Tide.
- LSU. Gary Crowton with an off week. Imagine the possibilities.
- Arkansas. Spotted Vandy eight points in the first quarter and still ran ’em off the field. Yawn.
- South Carolina. The clock strikes November. Not putting Tennessee away until the middle of the fourth quarter doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.
- Mississippi State. It wasn’t pretty, but they won their sixth in a row. They’ll get a bye week bounce after this weekend, to boot.
- Florida. The Gators are a better team with Rainey and a healthy Jeff Demps. But in years past, a Florida team with a plus-3 advantage in turnover margin in a Cocktail Party game would have crushed Georgia.
- Georgia. These Dawgs can’t win a close game. Still, they don’t get blown out by anyone either.
- Kentucky. Not good enough to overcome turning the ball over a bunch.
- Mississippi. Just a bad, bad defensive team.
- Tennessee. Once again, they fight and they lose.
- Vanderbilt. After the season, we’ll look back on that win over Mississippi and marvel.