The Las Vegas Sun has a piece up on the betting lines for the biggest games of the 2009 college football season.
As you might expect, the Gators are getting a lot of love right now.
Florida, the heavy preseason favorite to win the national championship, commands some of the largest point spreads on the board. The Gators opened as a 24-point favorite against Tennessee on Sept. 19 and are favored by 22 points against Florida State on Nov. 28. The Gators are a favorite of 2-1 — or less — to win the national title in Las Vegas sports books. Florida even inspired a “yes/no” proposition at all Lucky’s books that allows gamblers to lay minus 240 (risk $2.40 to net $1) that it will not win the national title.
If you look at some of the lines on individual games, there’s some other stuff of interest.
- Bettors like Georgia Tech’s chances in the ACC. The Jackets are listed as favorites against Clemson, Miami, Florida State and Virginia Tech.
- Georgia is now a one point favorite in Atlanta against Tech, though.
- Ole Miss is favored against both LSU and Alabama. And ‘Bama is the favorite against LSU, as well.
- The line most likely to change between now and game time? USC is only giving six points against Notre Dame.
- A close second is Alabama -5 against Auburn.
- And that Ohio State -6 against Michigan might not be there, either.
- On the other hand, the Red River Shootout looks pretty solid with Texas as a one-point favorite.