Thought this would make for a good jumping off point for a blog discussion:
Some random thoughts:
- This is the year of the defensive lineman. Ten — count ’em, ten — of the top twelve Hinton lists play on the DL.
- How sorry do you feel for ACC offensive linemen? Clemson has four of those ten defensive linemen. Sheesh.
- Tua ahead of Jake. Sigh.
- As Matt himself notes, that Kyler Murray ranking seems a little aggressive at this point.
- Florida Atlantic has three players on that list. Florida has none. Ouchy ouch.
And here’s how the SEC shows out:
- Alabama: 7
- Georgia: 4
- Auburn, TAMU: 3
- LSU, MSU: 2
- Kentucky, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee: 1
- Arkansas, Florida, Vanderbilt: 0
No, élite talent isn’t everything. Depth matters, too. But every great program has its fair share of top-end players who elevate. I suspect there’s a reasonable (not the same thing as exact) amount of correlation between the order of that list and how the conference shakes out this season. Your thoughts?