May 19, 2010 · 8:17 AM
this is what you’d get.
… Support the Candy Ass BCS and 70 bowl games if you like. But sure the Hell don’t call yourself a MAN or even a REAL WOMAN. Because you are not a REAL MAN or WOMAN if you support the Bogus BCS. No REAL AMERICAN MEN and WOMEN don’t lay around a pool when there is a championship to be played for and won, as do the REAL MEN and REAL WOMEN that play every other sport in college athletics. Yes, the American spirit is still alive, but it is not in the offices of any college head coach that supports the Candy Ass BCS and it is certainly not on most college campuses today.
It’s the CAPS that make it special. I’m glad to know that Joe isn’t letting all this Big Ten expansion talk take his eyes off the prize. The rest of you people need to man up.
UPDATE: Jim Delany tells Joe where he can stick his manhood (h/t Tony Barnhart).
… But intercollegiate athletics is sort of unique in that institutions that have certain advantages—based on demographics or history or tradition or fan base—somehow are seen as the source of resources for others that do not. I don’t think that’s going to happen anytime soon, but there’s certainly a lot of gnashing of teeth, like why doesn’t the Rose Bowl spread its revenue around to Boise State? Well, partially because we developed it. We built it, it’s our tradition, and to the extent that it’s successful, it’s successful for our institutions. So that’s essentially a home-rule approach. I think it’s an honest approach. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with money, but life’s a lot easier when you have it than when you don’t.
May 19, 2010 · 6:53 AM
You know what Jim Delany said about the beer and brats.
- This isn’t exactly college football related, but it’s funny enough to warrant a read.
- The interesting thing about the pay scale of the Florida staff isn’t how much they’re paying the DC. It’s that no assistant coach makes less than $240,000/year. I wonder if there’s any other school in the country that has a similar salary structure.
- A first sign of Mark Richt hot seat meme fatigue.
- The guys at Barrel of Rum discuss a change in Georgia Tech’s recruiting philosophy in the wake of Giff Smith’s departure. Maybe it’s me, but in reading that post, I’m sensing that Tech’s attention is shifting more out of state again.
- Buried in Chris Low’s piece about defense winning SEC championships is a little note that Arkansas’ defensive performance declined in Petrino’s second season. But that’s all fixed now, right?
- Paul makes a good point about Georgia’s success with freshmen quarterbacks over the past two decades.
- Making the case for going for it on fourth down.
- A list of early season SEC departures shows that Zach Mettenberger has plenty of company… not that you hear much about it.
- The real reason Southern Cal hired Junior? “The Trojans, though, are confident that Kiffin will create so much havoc with his social blunders, petty rule violations and assorted lapses of decorum that he will make the world completely forget the ongoing USC scandals involving Reggie Bush and O.J. Mayo.” (h/t The Wiz of Odds)
Filed under Don't Mess With Lane Kiffin, Gators, Gators..., Georgia Football, Georgia Tech Football, It's Just Bidness, Media Punditry/Foibles, Recruiting, SEC Football, Stats Geek!, Strategery And Mechanics
May 19, 2010 · 6:32 AM
If that's a smile, why is this man smiling?
Does anyone besides me wonder if this whole Big Ten expansion thing is just Jim Delany’s shiny toy with which to distract the media from whining about the BCS and D-1 playoffs?
If that’s the case, you have to admit it’s working.