Bobby Bowden’s lettin’ it all hang out these days.
“Back in those days, when a boy gets into too much trouble it starts as a felony. If a boy has a felony, he can’t play, nothing I can do,” Bowden said. “So you try to get it reduced down to a misdemeanor, and unless it’s a terrible thing you usually can. I think (the movie) shows how I’d give them second chances if I can. Some boys would get in trouble so bad I couldn’t do nothing. I’d lose ‘em. But the worst thing is I didn’t want to kick them back out on the street. They don’t need to be out on the street. I’d try to save ‘em.”
Amen, Reverend Bobby.
The man is an inspiration to countless head coaches who have followed in his wake. What a legacy!
I bet hearing that gave Finebaum a major woody.
A few nibbles here, a few nibbles there:
Evidently you don’t need much more than that to be considered worthy of serving on a football playoff selection committee.
“No person is better equipped to handle the pressure that would go with being on that committee than an ex-coach,” former Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum told ESPN.com. “We’ve seen a lot more pressure than being on a poll.”
That explains why they do such a bang up job with the Coaches Poll.
Random bits and nuggets to nosh on:
Filed under Academics? Academics., Big Ten Football, Bobby Bowden: Over His Dead Body, Don't Mess With Lane Kiffin, It's Not Easy Being A Mid-Major, It's Just Bidness, Recruiting, SEC Football, Strategery And Mechanics, The Blogosphere, The NCAA
Grab your plate and get your day started…
- I missed this when it was initially posted, but Ivan Maisel shares something Texas AD DeLoss Dodds has to say about slowing down the conference expansion talk: “Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds believes all the nerves on edge because of expansion could be calmed if the NCAA passed legislation removing the minimum of 12 members needed to stage a conference championship game. Then there would be no need to add members in order to jumpstart revenue…” Okay, but then what would be the point of playing a round robin schedule in the Big East or Pac-10?
- This isn’t about football, but I’m not pleased that Kentucky was able to out-recruit Georgia for this student-athlete. A school with our obvious resources should never lose out on a player like Fetch.
- Spencer Hall is rather colorfully upset with Turner Gill’s decision to ban cursing at Kansas’ practices.
- Bobby Bowden’s tower stood empty on FSU’s first day of spring practice.
- The header on Mike Hugenin’s preview of South Carolina says it all.
- Don’t miss this look back at one of my favorite Dawgs of all time, Jake Scott. I think of him every time I walk up to Stegeman.
- And cocknfire posts the mother of all did-Urban Meyer-do-Tim Tebow-right examinations.