No snow, federal holiday… things could be worse.
- Bobby Bowden wasn’t too keen on the coach/ambassador slot FSU offered him to clear the way for Jimbo Fisher to become head coach: “It reminded me of Barney Fife. They gave him a gun, but they won’t let him put the bullet in there.”
- Regardless of whomever winds up starting at quarterback, Aaron Murray is pretty pumped about Georgia’s offense this season: “We have an unbelievable offense for next season. You look at the offensive line; we have, like, seven or eight [players with starting experience]. The skill positions are unbelievable. It’s not going to be all on your shoulders. We have a great running game, two great young running backs. With that offensive line, we should put up some great numbers on the running game.”
- The sports media adapts – at least, the writers do.
- Jon Tenuta’s career arc begins to descend.
- Matt Melton does his annual SDPI thing, starting with the ACC. Surprisingly, Georgia Tech wasn’t as dominant on offense, or as mediocre on defense as the common wisdom made the Jackets out to be. But that Virginia offense was every bit as putrid as we thought.
- Earlier, I missed this quote from Terrence Cody on a college football playoff, but I take it he’s not a fan: “That’s stupid,” Cody said earlier this week. “I don’t think there should be any playoff. Why should there be a playoff? I mean, in the NFL they’re getting paid to play off and stuff.”
- More antitrust logic from that bastion of clear thinking, Bleacher Report. Dude, among several things you don’t get, the NCAA has nothing to do with the money from the D-1 football postseason.
- Trojan Football Analysis takes a look at Monte Kiffin’s defensive philosophy and draws this conclusion: “Bottom line I don’t expect a whole lot of change in terms of defensive schemes…but I do expect better results than the defensive debacles versus Oregon and Stanford in 2009.” Maybe so, but a quick look at Tennessee’s defensive stats last season don’t indicate that Monte had particularly great success against spread attacks.
Amidst the announcement that Florida State is vacating 12 of Diddy’s football wins, comes word that the fan base has taken that news very, very hard.
… According to FSU, renewal of booster memberships is up 90 percent compared to early 2009, while monetary gifts have jumped 17 percent.
Florida State’s ticket office has reported an 80 percent increase in new sales and ticket renewals have skyrocketed. By this time last year, the ticket office had 423 renewals. This year, they have 2,327, a spike of 450 percent.
A few late morning nuggets for your viewing pleasure:
Believe it or not, there are other things going on in the college football world today.
Here are a few tempting morsels to whet your college football appetite.
- Aron White plays the “woulda, shoulda” card regarding the Florida game: “My hat’s off to them because they’re a great team, but I don’t feel that they’re unbeatable by any means. I feel like if we’d have come and had a little more focus, we could have came out with a ‘W.’ ” Oy.
- The Locksley punch-out story gets stranger and stranger.
- So does the Slick-Rick-gets-ripped-on-Facebook story.
- What happens if Diddy picks Chuck Amato to succeed Mickey Andrews as the FSU defensive coordinator? ‘Cause I’m betting that the Chest ain’t Jimbo’s first choice. Or his fifty-third, for that matter.
- If this is accurate, shame on every D-1 school that’s turned Boise State down.
- If you haven’t seen this yet, take a minute and watch. It’s pretty damned cool.
- Oh, puhleeze.
- Mark Richt channels his inner Vince Dooley with this classic quote about Tennessee Tech: “Just looking at the film throughout the year, they might be the best-coached kick return team we’ve played…”
- Speaking of Mark Richt, Joe at Coaches Hot Seat Blog has some advice for him regarding strength and conditioning.
This may go down as Diddy’s epitaph.
“Bobby Bowden refusin 2 step down is like when ur grandparents refuse 2 give up their car keys,” FSU superfan and former SI.com contributor Jenn Sterger tweeted Monday. “We luv u, just tired of u crashing into [stuff]!”
My friends, when you’ve lost Jenn Sterger, you’ve lost America.
A little later in the day, but just as tasty.